My 10 year old son, Joey is homeschooled and has been really interested in having his own pet(specifically a rat). A friend of ours has a pet rat and I’m told they can be quite loyal and smart(for a rat).
We do however, already have 2 dogs, 1 cat and a rather large tank of fish. So I am a bit up in the air on what to do.
With my adult children, when they were growing up, I always encouraged them to take an interest in animals. Over the years we’ve had our share of them! We have had… bunnies, hamsters, birds, and lizards.
I probably enjoyed the lizard the best, with the exception of all the crickets getting loose in our house! That was a fun little activity, gathering 2 dozen crickets from my living room.🤪
Since I do love pets, I can appreciate that my son wants to bond with his own little buddy, I’m just not sure if it is the right decision.
Some Of Our Concerns
- If we move ahead to support him on this, is a rat the best choice for a pet?
- Will Joe be responsible enough to manage all of the pet’s needs?
- Will he lose interest in the pet?
- Will I be the one that will ultimately be the
proudowner of a new pet rat that I didn’t even get to enjoy naming?(I do love naming my pets)
- Will the pet suffer because he may not get enough attention?
- What do we do when we go camping every weekend this summer?
- Rats only live a few years, would I be setting my son up for disappointment just around the corner?
Some Of The Benefits
- Pets do make us live longer, right? Does this apply to having a rat or just cats and dogs? I’m not sure…
- He could earn the money needed for a new pet and all of the stuff that goes along with it, teaching him some responsibility. This could be a good homeschooling project.
- I would prefer him to spend his allowance on a critter friend over a video game or app upgrade.
- It would give him companionship if they were to bond.
- A rat is a fairly inexpensive pet, and low maintenance compared to a dog.
I Would Love To Hear Everyone’s Opinion
- Would you support a new pet friend for a homeschooled 10 year old?
- If yes, what would be the best pet?
- What are the animals in your home?
Thanks for reading, have a great night! ✌🏻