We had a chili cook off last weekend at our campground and this post came to mind for a throwback post. I hope you enjoy. 😉
There are several reasons I love this recipe! It’s cheap, quick and easy to make, and also a wholesome and filling vegan meal! All the ingredients I use are things I always keep in my home. You probably have them too, so it doesn’t take a lot of planning or shopping. This recipe fills our 2-3 quart pan, so for my husband and I we have lots of leftovers for the week. We usually make this once a week or so, we love it that much. My boys are still not too adventurous with tofu, but they are getting closer.
Prep time: about 15 minutes, and Then I simmer the chili for about an hour.
🌱How to prepare the tofu-
I always start with the tofu. If you know how to use tofu then you won’t need this step, but if it’s new for you, this is what I do… I remove the tofu from the packaging and wrap it in about 10 or so paper towels squeezing out as much of the moisture I can. I wrap it a second time just to absorb a little more water from the tofu.
I never ate tofu growing up, so the first few times I tried to cook with it, it was a soggy, slimy, disgusting mess. I had no idea how anyone could eat the stuff. I didn’t know what I was doing. Thankfully over the last few years of being vegan, I figured this tip out. 😂
Next I cut it in cubes along with a tablespoon of coconut oil, diced onion and garlic. I sauté this until the tofu is golden brown along with the onion. After it’s starting to brown a bit I add a tablespoon of chili powder. This seems to give the tofu a bolder flavor in the chili.
🌱 Adding the rest of the ingredients-
While the tofu is browning in the 2 quart pan, I drain the beans and rinse them lightly. Once everything is browned in the pan I add in the diced tomatoes(not drained), beans, jalapeños, tomato paste, water and the rest of the seasonings.
I keep it on simmer for an hour or so stirring it occasionally. It is really that easy to make. Like some recipes, I think this one tastes even better the next day for leftovers!
Here are my ingredients:
- 16 oz tofu ( use extra firm)
- 1 large onion
- 3 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced)
- 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 1 4 oz can of diced jalapeños( we prefer it hot, but the jalapeños are optional)
- 3 15 oz cans of beans drained ( I usually will use 1 can black beans, 1 can chili beans, and 1 can kidney beans. But I change up what beans I use all the time, depending on what I have in my pantry)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil( or whatever oil you choose. This helps make the tofu have a little bit firmer texture)
- 2 tablespoons of minced or a few cloves of garlic( I like a lot of garlic, so we buy a 48 oz jar from Costco and it goes real fast here, but tweak it to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder( 1 for sautéing the tofu, one for the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
Thanks for checking out our vegan chili recipe, we hope you like it. We have other vegan links on our vegan page.
#colecampfireblog, #veganchili, #beginnervegan, #vegan